Degree Requirements, Minor in Cognitive Science
Cognitive Science studies the computational and representational structure of the mind by combining linguistics, philosophy, anthropology, computer science (especially artificial intelligence), and psychology. Courses for the minor in cognitive science focus on three areas:
1) broad foundational issues in linguistics, psychology, and computing;
2) more specialized issues in mental representation, computation, theoretical linguistics, and epistemology;
3) problems in cognition, data processing, language and formal representation that are related to students' particular interests.
The minor requires 18 credits, distributed as follows.
- Students must earn a C- or higher in each course in order for it to count as credit towards the minor.
- Students minoring in linguistics and minoring in cognitive science may not use the same courses to count towards both minors, with the exception of LING 101.
- Students may not take 600-level courses and have them count towards the minor in Cognitive Science.
|Introduction to Cognitive Science||3 Credits|
|LING 101||Introduction to Linguistics||3 Credits|
|PSYC 100||General Psychology||3 Credits|
|CISC 106||General Computer for Engineers
|CISC 108||General Computer Science
|CISC 181||Introduction to Computer Science
|Prereq for CISC 181: CISC106 or CISC108|
|Coreq for CISC 181: MATH 115, MATH 117, MATH 171, MATH221, or MATH241|
|ANTH 205||Anthropology & Human Nature (X-list CGSC205)
|LING 404||Structure of Language (Prereq: LING101)
|CGSC 418||Meaning & Lang Use (Prereq: LING101), X-list: LING418 & PHIL418||3 Credits|
|PHIL 205||Logic||3 Credits|
|PSYC 340||Cognition (Prereqs: PSYC207 & PSYC209), X-list: CGSC340||3 Credits|
|ANTH 300||Primatology||3 Credits|
||Philosophy of Mind, cross-listed w/ PHIL330
||Artificial Intelligence, cross-listed w/ CGSC481
||Lang. Acquisition, cross-listed w/ EDUC462 & PSYC462
|-- Or --PSYC 344: Psychology of Lang. (Prereqs: PSYC209 & CGSC 170)
||Sensation & Perception (Prereqs: PSYC207 & PSYC209)
||Brain & Behavior, X-list: CGSC314 (Prereq: C- or better in PSYC100)
|OR Any of the courses not chosen under C (see above)|